- Here's what happens when colder water enters a summer-stratified lake.
- Same as movie 2 without the dyed green epilimnion.
- See what happens to the epilimnion (mixed layer) and thermocline
during a storm. Did the lake mix?
- Same as movie 4, but with increased turbulence. See what starts
to happen when the class 5 tornado hits.
- Shows how stream sediment entering a lake or reservoir deposits
its load. Why does some material stay in the upper layer and some
crash to the bottom?
- An estuary is a 2-layer system with freshwater overlying salt
water. Here we see how freshwater behaves when added to each layer.
- Same as movie 7, but here we introduce water that is saltier
than the upper freshwater layer. Example: Hurricanes can "throw" huge
amounts of saltwater into coastal lakes. What happens to this water
and what might its impact be?